Nominations are now open for the 2015 Governor's Awards for the Arts and Humanities and the 2014-2016 Alaska State Writer Laureate! The deadline for both is Wednesday, October 1, 2014.
The Governor's Awards for the Arts categories for 2015 are: Arts Education, Individual Artist, Arts Organization and Native Arts. The nomination guidelines and form can be found at http://bit.ly/2015AKGovAwardsNominations. The Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities will be held at the Juneau Arts and Culture Center on Thursday, January 29, 2015. Be sure to save the date!
The Alaska State Writer Laureate is a two-year honorary appointment recognizing the selected writer’s contribution to the quality of life in Alaska through their written work and other literary endeavors. The role of the Laureate is to promote the literary arts and artists of Alaska. In fulfilling this purpose, each Laureate determines, in consultation with ASCA, a project to complete over the course of their appointment. The nomination form can be downloaded here.
Please consider submitting nominations for worthy Alaskans who have dedicated their lives to improving our great state through the arts and literature!
Rasmuson Foundation, EmcArts, the Foraker Group, and the Alaska State Council on the Arts are pleased to launch a new program for and with Alaska’s arts and cultural organizations, New Pathways | Alaska.
The New Pathways partners are happy to announce that 10 Alaskan arts organizations have been selected to participate in the first cohort for the program. Congratulations to the Alaska Humanities Forum, the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Anchorage Concert Association and the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra in Anchorage; the Alutiiq Museum and the Kodiak Arts Council in Kodiak; the Island Institute in Sitka; the Ketchikan Area Arts and Humanities Council in Ketchikan; Perseverance Theatre in Juneau; and the Sheldon Museum and Cultural Center in Haines. Click Here for more information about the program and these organizations, and to read the full press release.
A second group of organizations will be selected for a 2015 cohort, with applications opening in mid-2015. Application instructions and more in-depth program information are available here.
This mini-doc was created during Latitude: 2014 Alaska Arts Convergence by Filmmaker-in-Residence, Patrick Race.
All shooting and editing took place within a window of 50 hours and was the artist's intent to capture and share the spirit of the event.
RON SENUNGETUK from Asia Freeman on Vimeo.
This video about Ron Senungetuk, created for the Alaska State Council on the Arts by Alaskan artist Michael Walsh, highlights the life and work of the 2014 Governor's Awardee for Lifetime Achievement in the Arts & Humanities.
The Alaska State Council on the Arts is a state agency that fosters the development of the arts for all Alaskans through education, partnerships, grants and services.
- FY15 1st Quarter Grant Deadlines - Community Arts Development, Career Opportunity, Master Artist and Apprentice, Workshop and Walker Arts Grants
- 2015 Governor’s Awards/State Writer Laureate Nominations Deadline
- Artist in Schools Grant Deadline (2nd round)
- Cultural Collaborations Arts Excursion and Access Grants
- Harper Arts Presenting and Touring Fund Grants
- 2015 Governor’s Awards/State Writer Laureate Nominations Open
- ASCA Teleconference - noon - 1:30 pm
- 2015 Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities, Juneau AK
- Download New Visions - A progress report on new models in three Alaska School
Districts (2012) - pdf
- 2012-2016 Strategic Plan - pdf
- On Thin Ice AIE Survey, 2009 - pdf
- Arts Links
- Alaska 2011 Creative Vitality Index Report - pdf
- Alaska 2009 Creative Vitality Report - pdf