Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
The Department of Education & Early Development has developed web-based, interactive training courses to support Alaskan educators and parents.
The FASD eLearning course offers learners the opportunity to:
- Fulfill the requirements of the Binkley Law mandating drug and alcohol related disabilities training for new educators
- Learn what fetal alcohol spectrum disorders are
- Learn the commonly associated physical and mental characteristics
- Understand how FASD affects learning and behavior
- Learn how to develop successful interventions and environmental accommodations
Star Rating: 3+ out of 4
- As an experienced out-of-state teacher, the information provided in this training was relevant and useful for my teaching assignment and provided new insights and understanding into the behaviors exhibited by some of my students. I was not previously aware of the extent of the problem of FASD in Alaska. In retrospect, FASD was probably a greater factor in my former out-of-state teaching assignment than I realized. I appreciated the section on strategies and the contribution it made to my "teacher toolbox"; I plan to implement the strategies in my classroom and to pursue additional information regarding FASD.
- Quite a bit of information covered, but it was useful and relevant. A good overview for teachers starting in the district.
- Interesting training. The statistical data was very informative