Teacher Certification

Retired (Lifetime) Certificate

Do I qualify for a Retired certificate?

Anyone who retired from teaching while holding a valid Alaska teaching certificate will qualify to apply for the Retired certificate. You are not required to hold a current Alaska teaching certificate in order to be eligible for the Retired certificate. To verify the effective dates of your Alaska certificate, e-mail Teacher Certification

How many university credits do I need to have in order to apply for the Retired Certificate?

None. You will not need to show completion of any course work in order to apply for the Retired certificate.

How long is the certificate valid?

The Retired certificate is a lifetime certificate.

What forms do I need to apply for the Retired Certificate?

To apply for the Retired certificate, you will need the Retired Certification application. To download the correct application forms, visit the Teacher Certification website at education.alaska.gov/teachercertification/forms/retired_cert.pdf

Will I need to be fingerprinted?

A background clearance is required of all Retired certification applicants who have not previously passed a criminal background check with EED for teacher certification. E-mail Teacher Certification and a certification analyst will review your file to determine if fingerprint cards will need to be submitted with your application.

What do I need to submit to EED in my application packet?

All application packets for Retired certification must include the following items:

  • Retired Certification application - pdf
  • Certificate fee of $165 (All fees are non-refundable.)
  • 1 fingerprint cards (if necessary)
  • Fingerprint processing fee of $66 (if necessary)

What does the Retired Certificate allow me to do?

The Retired certificate will allow you to accept short-term substituting positions (any position not more than 20 days in length) with an Alaska public school district. While holding the Retired certificate you are eligible to be paid at a certified rate. (4 AAC 12.380)

Does the Retired Certificate pose any restrictions?

While holding a Retired certificate you may not be in a contracted position requiring a certificate in an Alaska public school district. You are specifically limited to short-term substituting positions and may not accept any long-term positions greater than 20 days in length. (4 AAC 12.380)