Vol. 45 No. 30 July 28, 2017
Inside This Edition:
- Mark Your Calendars for the 12th Annual School Health & Wellness Institute
- Alaska Kicks Off First Statewide Pilot of EdRising Academy Program
- Kaleidoscope Academies Offering Teacher Professional Development
- Alaska Signed On for Congressional App Challenge
- Sesame Street E-Books Available to All Alaskans for FREE!
- Paul Prussing Named DEED Student Learning Director
- Free Training - 101 Ways to Improve Your School Library Program
- State Board Approves Score Ranges for New State Assessments
- DEED is Hiring!
- 2017 Chinese Bridge Delegation to China Program Now Accepting Applications
- DEED Seeks Additional Comment on ESSA State Plan
- Erin Hardin: (907) 465-6535
Mark Your Calendars for the 12th Annual School Health & Wellness Institute
Alaska Kicks Off First Statewide Pilot of EdRising Academy Program
The program, which includes curriculum, teacher training, and "Beginning to Teach" micro-credentials for students, is a centerpiece of a "grow your own" teacher recruitment strategy.Read about EdRising Academy Program
Kaleidoscope Academies Offering Teacher Professional Development
Brightways Learning will be hosting Kaleidoscope Academies in Anchorage October 9-10. CEU credits available.
Alaska Signed On for Congressional App Challenge
The Congressional App Challenge (CAC) runs July 26 – November 1. The CAC is a public effort to encourage kids to learn how to code, through annual district-wide competitions hosted by Members of Congress for their district. Please encourage your students to enter!
Sesame Street E-Books Available to All Alaskans for FREE!
Everyone in Alaska now has FREE unlimited access to over 180 Sesame Street ebooks through SLED.Start Reading Sesame Street eBooks
Paul Prussing Named DEED Student Learning Director
Commissioner Johnson has named Paul Prussing the Director of the Division of Student Learning.Read More about Prussing's Position Change
Free Training - 101 Ways to Improve Your School Library Program
The workshop is free and open to librarians, teachers, and the public.
- Monday, July 31 - Juneau, Andrew P. Kashevaroff Building
- Wednesday, August 2 - Anchorage, Anchorage School District Building
- Friday, August 4 - Fairbanks, UAF Rasmuson Library
State Board Approves Score Ranges for New State Assessments
The State Board of Education and Early Development, meeting July 14 by audio conference, adopted regulations that set the achievement level scores for the statewide assessments and amended regulations to require school districts to annually administer statewide assessments in English language arts and mathematics in grades three through eight and at least once in high school.
DEED is Hiring!
Program Coordinator II to join our School Health and Safety team. Apply by July 31.
2017 Chinese Bridge Delegation to China Program Now Accepting Applications
The College Board is pleased to announce the 2017 Chinese Bridge Delegation, a weeklong program in China to help educators start or strengthen their institution's Chinese programs and partnerships.
DEED Seeks Additional Comment on ESSA State Plan
DEED is seeking public comment on the second draft of the state plan to implement the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the new federal education law. DEED will gather public comment on the second draft through July 31, 2017. A webinar highlighting key changes in the draft is now available.
Pssst! You may have noticed the new layout — we're refreshing our format to share information in a streamlined manner. We recognize your time is valuable. Any other suggestions, email us!