Responsibilities of Educators Holding Alaskan Certificates
- Adhere to the Alaska Code of Ethics of the Education Profession.
- Notify the Department of Education & Early Development of name and/or any address changes (4AAC 12.415).
- Know your certificate's effective and expiration dates. Your effective date is the date the complete application packet is received by Teacher Education and Certification. (The Department of Education& Early Development does not notify individuals of impending expiration dates.)
- Meet renewal requirements before your renewal date.
- Keep abreast of any changes in certification regulations.
- Notify a school district within 90 days of hire, of any sick leave that you expect to transfer from previous employment. (AS 14.14.107) Sick leave can only be transferred if the teacher's service has been continuous within the Alaska public school system. Continuous service is defined as up to the last day of a school term and beginning within 30 days of the start of the next school term. (4 AAC 15.040(a)(2) & 4 AAC 15.900(2))
To view the following files, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.
- Additional Endorsement(s)
For holders of a certificate who wish to add one or more endorsements. (An individual who apply for an Initial teacher certificate with a valid out-of-state certificate must have an Institutional or State recommendation on file with the Teacher Certification Office to be eligible to add an endorsement.)
- Background Check (Optional)
Submit one fingerprint card prior to submitting your completed application. If the certification application is received within 90 days of the background check submission, the application packet will not require an additional fingerprint card.
- Background Request Form
Request a copy of your most recent criminal justice information and national history record check to be sent directly to an Alaska pre-school, child care facility, or residential child care facility. Limited to individuals holding a valid teaching certificate (Initial, Professional, Master, Type B, Type C or a Limited Type M) and who also hold or have been offered a position as a certificated teacher with supervisory access in a pre-school, child care facility, or residential child care facility setting.
- Duplicate Certificate Request
Request a duplicate copy of your teaching, administrative, or special services certificate.
- Duplicate Postcard Request
Request a duplicate copy of your yellow postcard. Only an applicant who is required to submit a fingerprint card at the time of application is sent a yellow postcard. Postcards are not sent to student teachers and individuals applying for lifetime certificates.
- Endorsement Removal
For holders of a current 5-year certificate who wish to remove one or more endorsement.
- Expired Initial Certificate Continuation Request
If the unmet requirements for an expired Initial certificate have been satisfied, an individual may use this form to request the continuation of the certificate. Only expired Initial certificates that were issued less than three years ago are eligible for a continuation request.
- Initial Certificate Extension Checklist
If the requirements for the extension of a current Initial certificate have been satisfied, an individual may use this form to request the extension of the certificate’s expiration date. The requirements must be submitted to the Teacher Certification Office on or before to the expiration date of the certificate.
- Initial to Professional Checklist
A list of all requirements that must be satisfied to move from an Initial teacher certificate to a Professional teacher certificate. This is provided for the convenience of applicants.
- Institutional Recommendation
Provide form and list of endorsements to the university or college where you completed your teacher, administrator, or special service programs. The university or college should return the completed form directly to you.
- Name/Address Change Form
Notify the Teacher Certification Office if your name and/or address has changed. Change your address electronically at https://education.alaska.gov/TeacherCertification/ContactChange/.
- Non-academic Credit Pre-approval for Sponsors
Sponsors of institutes or workshops may request pre-approval for the participants of their institutes or workshops to earn non-academic renewal/reinstatement credit. Only institutes or workshops of at least 15 contact hours in duration are eligible for non-academic credit.
- Non-academic Credit Pre-approval for Travel
Participants of an organized, sponsored educational travel event related to their endorsement area(s) may request pre-approval for the event to count toward non-academic renewal/reinstatement credit. Only organized, sponsored educational travel events that are at least three weeks in duration are eligible for non-academic credit.
- Non-academic Credit Pre-approval for Workshops
Participants of institutes or workshops may request pre-approval for an institutes or workshops related to their endorsement area(s) to count as non-academic renewal/reinstatement credit. Only institutes or workshops of at least 15 contact hours in duration are eligible for non-academic credit.
- Proof of Program Enrollment
Provide form and list of endorsements to the university or college where you are enrolled in an approved teacher preparation program. The university or college should return the completed form directly to you.
- Reinstatement of a Retired/Lifetime Certificate
Holders of a Retired/Lifetime certificate may reinstate their regular certificate within five years of the regular certificate’s expiration date. Six semester hours or nine quarter hours of credit must have been earned from a regionally accredited university within five years of the reinstatement application.
- Renewal Credit Pre-approval Request (Optional)
Individuals preparing to take renewal credit through a university or an organization approved to offer continuing education units may request pre-approval of the credit. This request form is only necessary if the credit to be earned does not have a clear connection to the individual's employment that requires a teacher, administrative, or special services certificate, the individual's endorsement areas, or a program that leads to an additional endorsement under 4 AAC 12.395. Only a continuing education unit of at least 15 contact hours in duration may be used for renewal credit.
- Renewal or Reinstatement Application
For holders of a current 5-year certificate, or a 5-year certificate which has been expired less than one year, who wish to renew or reinstate their regular certificate. Renewal applications can be submit one year prior to the expiration date of the certificate being renewed.
- Retired/Lifetime Certification
Optional certificate for those who held current Alaska certification at the time of retirement.
- State Recommendation
Provide form and list of endorsements to the state agency that authorized the alternate state-approved teacher preparation program you completed. The state agency should return the completed form directly to you.
- Student Teacher Authorization
Student teachers serving in Alaska public schools must receive authorization from the Teacher Certification Office. To apply for authorization, submit a complete student teacher authorization form and a fingerprint card prior to your planned student teaching experience.
- Synchronize Expiration Dates of Multiple Certificates
Individuals holding more than one certificate with the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development may request that one or more certificates’ duration is abbreviated so that all certificates held expire on the same date.