- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Requirement Alternatives and Waivers
Under AS 14.20.020 and 4 AAC 12.410, the Commissioner of Education and Early Development is able to issue emergency certificates and waive requirements for renewal of certification. Using this authority, I will be issuing emergency certificates to any student teachers who were unable to complete their student teaching experience and extending certificates that would otherwise expire. I will be authorizing emergency certification for individuals who were unable to satisfy testing and coursework requirements.
More information regarding Emergency Certification will be available soon. The Teacher Certification office is working with the Commissioner's office to enact the Emergency Certificate to respond to the challenges we are facing, in a way which will best serve Alaska.
Notice of Partial Office Closure
To mitigate the risk of COVID-19 transmission, the Michael J. Burns (Goldbelt) building hours will change and building access will be limited to employees. The Teacher Certification staff will continue to work regular office hours. Access for visitors will be by appointment only. If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with staff in person, we will be available Monday- Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Please continue to submit your questions via telephone or email. Online services will remain active.
- Email Teacher Certification
- Phone (907) 465-2831
When mailing completed application packets, please be sure to send them to the PO Box listed below:
DEED, Teacher Certification
PO Box 110500
Juneau, AK 99811-0500
Alternatives for All Application Types
As a result of the COVID-19 emergency and the need for public distancing, the following requirements are being modified for all applicants:
- If a notary or postmaster is not available, applicants can sign the notary section of their application and provide a copy of state-issued, picture-identification card.
- Original Signatures
- Electronic signatures can be used on forms from the university (proof of program enrollment and program verification), applicants (standard application, checklist and other miscellaneous forms), and districts.
- Official Transcripts
- Applicants can provide a secured, official electronic transcript from in-state and out-of-state universities using the directions available here.
- Application Packets
- Applicants who do not need a fingerprint card can provide their application and all supporting documents in one email directly to the Teacher Certification office. (Payment will need to be made through the Online Payment Center.)
Frequently Asked Questions