The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), also known as "the Nation's Report Card," is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what America's students know and can do in various subject areas. Since 1969, assessments have been conducted periodically in reading, mathematics, science, writing, U.S. history, civics, geography, and the arts.
In the winter of 2015 (from January 26-March 6, 2015), selected schools in Alaska in grade 4 and grade 8 took part in the NAEP reading and mathematics assessments. The NAEP in grade 4 and grade 8 reading and mathematics is given every other year; the 2015 administration was the seventh administration of the NAEP in Alaska since 2003. Results will be released in the fall of 2015.
The Alaska profile is available on the NAEP web site. This profile presents key data about Alaska's student and school population, NAEP testing history, and results. The profiles also contain links to the most recent state report cards for all available subjects.
Parent Notification Letter - word
- Alaska State NAEP Coordinator
- Jeanne Foy: (907) 465-8729
Illustrating Student Achievement on Alaska’s New Mathematics Standards Using NAEP Questions
NAEP questions that have a close alignment with some of Alaska’s new mathematics standards are used to illustrate or suggest current levels of student achievement for the new standards. This project is not intended to make any predictions about how students will do on any future assessments but may have instructional implications in terms of showing students’ current strengths and weaknesses. NAEP releases some items after each NAEP administration and gives performance data for the nation and states for each released item.
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
- Number and Operations - Fractions Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
- Number and Operations in Base Ten Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
- Ratios and Proportianal Relationships Domain: Grade 7 - pdf
- Expression and Equations Domain: Grade 8 - pdf
- Functions Domain: Grade 8 - pdf
- Grade 4
- Cracking Concrete – Students Activity Guide - word
- Cracking Concrete – Answer Data - word
- Here Comes the Sun – Students Activity Guide - word
- Here Comes the Sun – Answer Data - word
- Grade 8
- Bottling Honey – Student Activity Guide - word
- Bottling Honey – Answer Data - word
- Playground Soil – Student Activity Guide - word
- Playground Soil – Answer - Data - word
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (Nation's Report Card)
- Information for Parents About the Nation's Report Card
- Explore the NAEP Questions Tool for Teachers for examples of the kinds of questions NAEP asks in its assessments
- Explore NAEP Data in more detail by using the Data Explorer
- The NAEP Frameworks The NAEP assessments follow the frameworks developed by the National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB), and use the latest advances in assessment methodology
- Examine the NAEP schedule of assessments