- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
To qualify for a Second Initial teacher certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Has held an Initial or Provisional teacher certificate
- Passing scores on an approved basic competency exam (BCE)
- Completion of a teacher preparation program as verified by an Institutional Recommendation and transcripts, or a State Recommendation
- Official transcripts showing:
- Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska studies coursework
- Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska multicultural coursework
- Six (6) semester hours of coursework completed in the five years prior to application (recency credit)
- If the applicant has held a Professional or regular Type A teacher certificate, the certificate must have expired more than a year prior to the date of application
A Second Initial teacher certificate will be valid for three years. A Second Initial teacher certificate is not eligible for an extension and is not renewable.