Teacher Education and Certification Office works with school districts and universities to grant educator certifications, approve teacher preparation programs, and administer teacher recognition programs. It is committed to support the State Board of Education and Early Development's strategic priority to Ensure high-quality educators for Alaska's children.
Initial Out-of-State, Re-employment, and Proof-of-Program-Enrollment are exempt from this requirement. Proof of completion must be with the application, or the application will not be processed and may be returned.
Visit the Mandatory Training webpage for more information.
- Applications & Forms
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Certificate Types
- Endorsement Information
- Introduction (Overview)
- National Board Certification
- Professional Code of Ethics
- Standards for Educators
Got a Question?
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions where you can search by key word(s) or review all the questions and corresponding answers. Frequently Asked Questions
Responsibilities of Educators Holding Alaskan Certificates
- Adhere to the Alaska Code of Ethics of the Education Profession.
- Notify the Department of Education & Early Development of name and/or any address changes (4AAC 12.415).
- Know your certificate's effective and expiration dates. Your effective date is the date the complete application packet is received by Teacher Education and Certification. The Department of Education & Early Development does not notify individuals of impending expiration dates. Visit the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- Meet renewal requirements before your renewal date.
- Keep abreast of any changes in certification regulations.
- Notify a school district within 90 days of hire, of any sick leave that you expect to transfer from previous employment. (AS 14.14.107) Sick leave can only be transferred if the teacher's service has been continuous within the Alaska public school system. Continuous service is defined as up to the last day of a school term and beginning within 30 days of the start of the next school term. (4 AAC 15.040(a)(2) & 4 AAC 15.900(2))
Teacher Education Programs
- Alaska Directory of Approved Teacher Education Programs (pdf)
- For Coursework Completed Outside the United States (pdf)
How Are We Doing?
- Program Contact(s)
- Sondra Meredith, Administrator
Telephone: (907) 465-2831
Fax: (907) 465-2441
Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
ATTN: Teacher Certification
801 West 10th Street, Suite 200
P.O. Box 110500
Juneau, AK 99811-0500