- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Alaska submitted the Equitable Access to Excellent Educators Plan for Alaska on June 1, 2015. Alaska’s Equity Plan was revised and resubmitted on October 9, 2015 and approved on October 22, 2015.
Our Focus: The Equitable Access to Excellent Educators Plan for Alaska (Alaska Equity Plan) focuses on increasing the number of experienced teachers and reducing educator turnover in low-income, high-minority, and high-need schools and districts.
There is a proposed multi-phased approach in implementing this plan as outlined below:
- Phase 1: Awareness – Share the Alaska Equity Plan with stakeholders to allow further engagement and improvement.
- Phase 2: Support – Support the twelve identified districts with challenges to excellent teachers.
- Phase 3: Review – Analysis the implementation of the Alaska Equity Plan and make improvements as needed.
Alaska’s Equity Plan has four key strategies – Awareness of Alaska Equity Plan, Preparation of Teachers, Recruitment of Teachers, and Support of Teachers and Leaders (Retention). View here for complete description of these strategies, resources and definitions.
Ensure High-Quality Educators for Alaska’s Children
The Alaska Equity plan addresses priority three of the Alaska State Board of Education Strategic Priorities. Priority 3: Ensure high-quality educators for Alaska’s children. The key strategies of the Alaska State Equity Plan are embedded into the goals and action steps for priority three.
Equitable Access to Excellent Educators
The Alaska Department of Education & Early Development (EED) strongly supports the U.S. Department of Education’s goal of ensuring that every student has equitable access to excellent educators and welcomes this opportunity to provide our plan for moving toward equitable access for all Alaska students. Our plan provides initial and ongoing outreach to stakeholders and includes specific state level actions that will increase awareness, provide support, and ensure regular review of low-income and minority students’ equitable access to excellent teachers.
The next presentation on Alaska’s Equity Plan will be at the ESEA Application Workshop see the details on the EED Conference Calendar.
As we continue to work with our twelve targeted districts and other stakeholders, our plan is designed to have the flexibility to evolve over time. Please provide any comments, concerns or questions to the contact below.
- Title II-A Program Manager
- Cecilia Miller: (907) 465-8703
- Alaska’s Equity Plan Brief
- Alaska’s Equity Plan
- Alaska’s Equity Plan Appendencies
- Equitable Access to Excellent Educators Plan for Alaska (approved 10/15)