- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
In response to Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (DEED) has submitted a request to the U.S. Department of Education (US ED) to waive certain requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA, section 1111) related to assessment requirements.
On March 23, 2020, US ED gave notification to DEED that the wavier will be approved. As a result, spring 2020 administrations of the following assessments have been cancelled:
* PEAKS content area assessments in Mathematics, English Language Arts, and the Alaska Science Assessment
* Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) alternate assessment
* WIDA ACCESS for ELLs and Alternate ACCESS
The public may submit comment on this waiver by completing the Assessment and Accountability Waiver Public Comment Survey. The survey will remain open until May 6, 2020.
Students on an IEP, a 504 plan, or EL students may have identified accommodations documented for participation during assessments. Accommodations are changes in practices and procedures that provide equitable access to grade level content during instruction and assessment that do not alter the validity of the assessment, score interpretation, reliability, or security of the assessment.
For information on allowed accommodations for each assessment, please navigate to that assessment's webpage via our assessments homepage.
- Participation Guidelines for Inclusion of Alaska Students in State Assessments, December 2017 (pdf)
- Handbook for the Participation Guidelines, March 2018 (docx)
- Transitory Impairment Sample Documentation (word)