The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) provides all children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables at times other than during the school meals. It is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options. The FFVP also encourages community partnerships to support the schools when they offer free fruit and vegetables to children during the school day.
The goal of the FFVP is to:
- Create healthier school environments by providing healthier food choices.
- Expand the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience.
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future health.
This program is seen as an important catalyst for change in efforts to combat childhood obesity by helping children learn more healthful eating habits. The FFVP introduces school children to a variety of produce that they otherwise might not have had the opportunity to sample.
State Agency Staff Contacts
- Program Coordinator
- Sue Lampert: (907) 465-8710
- Alaska FFVP Training (powerpoint)
- Appeal Rights (pdf)
- Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Audio Training 9.4.12 (powerpoint)
- FFVP Spending Plan (word)
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Handbook (pdf)
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, Alaska Participant List SY16-17 (word)
- USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Information and Resources