- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Professional Standards Training
USDA has established minimum professional standards requirements for school nutrition professionals who manage and operate the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.
The standards, another key provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA), aim to institute minimum education standards for new State and local school nutrition directors as well as annual training standards for all school nutrition professionals. These new standards will ensure school nutrition personnel have the knowledge, training and tools they need to plan, prepare, and purchase healthy products to create nutritious, safe, and enjoyable school meals. This final rule will:
- Create minimum hiring standards for new school food authority (SFA) directors based on a school district’s size;
- Establish minimum hiring standards for new State directors of school nutrition programs and State directors of distributing agencies; and
- Require minimum annual training for all new and current school nutrition professionals.
A comprehensive Professional Standards website provides a database of training options where school nutrition staff can search for training that meets their learning needs in one easy-to-use location.
For additional information you may review the attached flyer:
Distance training through eLearning is available for all program participants. Please request an account through the Department of Education and Early Development at education.alaska.gov/ELearning/. Child Nutrition eLearning modules are available on the following topic areas:
- Eligibility for School Meals
- Program Pricing
- Meal Pattern Requirements
- Point of Service & Counting and Claiming
- Production Records
- Offer vs. Serve
- Civil Rights Compliance
- Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program
- Community Eligibility Provision
- Verification Edit Check
- Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold
- USDA Food Program
- Procurement Trainings:
- Food Service Management Companies
- Formal Procurement
- Procurement Plans
All participants in the School Nutrition Programs are required to attend program training. Mandatory training will be identified and sponsors to whom it applies will be notified. Training sessions may be offered by distance or at specific locations.