- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
The Key Question
What do we want to know about the range of knowledge and skills necessary for success in careers, college, and communities?
ESSA § 1111(b)(1)(D)(i)
Set challenging state academic standards [in mathematics, language arts, and science] aligned with entrance requirements for credit-bearing coursework in the state’s system of public higher education and relevant career and technical education state standards.
Alaska's Current Situation
For details on Alaska’s current educational standards, visit DEED’s Alaska Standards webpage.
Alaska English language arts (ELA) and mathematics standards were adopted in 2012.
- Kindergarten – Grade 12
- ELA: reading, writing, speaking, listening
- Math: content, practices
- Deemed college and career ready by Alaska’s institutes of higher education and Alaska educators
Alaska science grade level expectations (GLEs) were adopted in 2006, but are currently under revision. Learn more about Alaska’s need for new standards in this DEED Explains Video.
- Grades 3-10
- Strands: Inquiry & Nature of Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Earth Science
DEED will use these standards to carry out systems of assessment, accountability, and school improvement (ESSA § 1111(b)(1)(A)), and basing the state’s accountability system on those challenging standards. ESSA § 1111(c)(4)
Considerations for the Future
The two primary issues currently under consideration by DEED are:
- Whether or not to continue using the current ELA and math standards (adopted in 2012)
- The development of new Alaska science standards