The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is a federally-funded program that provides free, nutritious meals to children age 18 or younger living in low-income areas, or pockets of poverty during the summer months when school is not in session. The SFSP can be sponsored by public or private nonprofit schools, or school districts; public or private nonprofit organizations, day or residential summer camps; local government agencies or tribal organizations. Summer feeding sites can be located in schools, public housing centers, playgrounds, camps, parks, churches, rec centers, and many other facilities as long as the site meets the SFSP eligibility criteria.
Sponsors are reimbursed for the number of meals served to each eligible child multiplied by the appropriate reimbursement rate. The SFSP has higher reimbursement rates than any other Child Nutrition Program, yet it is one of the most under-utilized federal assistance programs. Fifty-two percent (52%) of Alaska’s children are eligible for free and reduced price meals, yet only 1 out of 11 children that participate in the National School Lunch Program, participated in the Summer Food Service Program in FY16. The SFSP is the key to helping fill the hunger gap for children who receive free and reduced-price meals during the regular school year.
SFSP Regulations require that all sponsors annually attend State Agency training, and they must train all administrative staff and site staff before they undertake their responsibilities.
The Alaska Department of Education & Early Development, Child Nutrition Programs provides Summer Food Service Program training each spring. New and Returning Sponsors will be notified annually (usually in January) when training dates have been established. Training sessions are offered in Anchorage and via distance delivery (teleconference).
SFSP Training Presentations
- 2017 SFSP Administrative Update (pdf)
- 2015 SFSP Program Basics (powerpoint)
- SFSP CNP Web Tutorial (word)
- SFSP CNP Web Claims Tutorial (word)
2018 Annual SFSP Training
- Distance Delivery for All Sponsors: Training Delivered via WebEx
- April 11, 2018 8:30AM to 12:00PM All SFSP Administrators
- Anchorage Face-to-Face Training: ACS Business Technology Center – 600 E 36th Ave
- April 17, 2018 8:30AM to 4:30PM All SFSP Administrators
- Distance Delivery for School Food Authorities: Training Delivered via WebEx
- April 25, 2018 1:00PM – 3:00PM School District SFSP Administrators Only
To register for training, please submit the training registration to Mary Sutkowski.
- 2018 SFSP Reimbursement Rates (pdf)
- SFSP Claim Calendar (word)
- 2016 SFSP Administrative Guidance for Sponsors (pdf)
- 2016 SFSP Site Supervisor’s Guide (pdf)
- 2017 SFSP Monitor’s Guide (pdf)
- 2016 SFSP Nutrition Guidance (pdf)
- 2017 Free and Reduced Price Eligibility Report (excel)
- Everyone Wins with Summer Food (pdf)
- Four Ways to Participate (pdf)
- Summer Food Service Options for School Districts (word)
- 2017-2018 Comparison of Summer Food, School Lunch and Seamless Summer Option (word)