- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is a federally-funded program that provides free, nutritious meals to children age 18 or younger living in low-income areas, or pockets of poverty during the summer months when school is not in session. The SFSP can be sponsored by public or private nonprofit schools, or school districts; public or private nonprofit organizations, day or residential summer camps; local government agencies or tribal organizations. Summer feeding sites can be located in schools, public housing centers, playgrounds, camps, parks, churches, rec centers, and many other facilities as long as the site meets the SFSP eligibility criteria.
Sponsors are reimbursed for the number of meals served to each eligible child multiplied by the appropriate reimbursement rate. The SFSP has higher reimbursement rates than any other Child Nutrition Program, yet it is one of the most under-utilized federal assistance programs. Fifty-one percent (51%) of Alaska’s children are eligible for free and reduced price meals, yet only 1 out of 11 children that participate in the National School Lunch Program, participated in the Summer Food Service Program in FY19. The SFSP is the key to helping fill the hunger gap for children who receive free and reduced-price meals during the regular school year.
SFSP Regulations require that all sponsors annually attend State Agency training, and they must train all administrative staff and site staff before they undertake their responsibilities.
The Alaska Department of Education & Early Development, Child Nutrition Programs provides Summer Food Service Program training each spring. New and Returning Sponsors will be notified annually (usually in January) when training dates have been established. Training sessions are offered in Anchorage and via distance delivery (teleconference).
To register for training, please submit the training registration to Jennifer Cherian.
2020 SFSP Application Deadline: May 1, 2020, or 30 days prior to program operations.
- 2020 SFSP Annual Training (SFAs Only): Thursday, April 16, 9:00 - 12:00
- 2020 SFSP Annual Training (All Sponsors): Tuesday, April 21, 9:00 - 4:30
- Program Specialist
- Rhonda Biles: (907) 465-4788
- Education Program Assistant
- Jennifer Cherian: (907) 465-4969
- SFSP Administrative Guidance for Sponsors, updated 2016 (pdf)
- SFSP Site Supervisor’s Guide, updated 2017 (pdf)
- SFSP Monitor’s Guide, updated 2017 (pdf)
- SFSP Nutrition Guidance, updated 2018 (pdf)
- 2020 SFSP Reimbursement Rates (pdf)
- Free and Reduced Price Eligibility Report (excel)
- Summer Food Service Program Toolkit
- Alaska Native Site Eligibility Letter Template (docx)
- Migrant Organization Site Eligibility Letter Template (docx)
- Appeal Rights (pdf)