- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is a federally funded program that provides free, nutritious meals to children age 18 or younger living in low-income areas, or pockets of poverty during the summer months when school is not in session. The SFSP can be sponsored by public or private nonprofit schools, or school districts; public or private nonprofit organizations, day or residential summer camps; local government agencies or tribal organizations. Summer feeding sites can be located in schools, public housing centers, playgrounds, camps, parks, churches, rec centers, and many other facilities as long as the site meets the SFSP eligibility criteria.
Sponsors are reimbursed for the number of meals served to each eligible child multiplied by the appropriate reimbursement rate. The SFSP has higher reimbursement rates than any other Child Nutrition Program, yet it is one of the most under-utilized federal assistance programs. In school year 2019-2020 fifty-one percent (51%) of Alaska’s children were eligible for free and reduced-price meals, yet only 20% of the children that participated in the National School Lunch Program, participated in the Summer Food Service Program in FY20. The SFSP is the key to helping fill the hunger gap for children who receive free and reduced-price meals during the regular school year.
SFSP regulations require that all sponsors annually attend State Agency training, and also requires that they must train all administrative staff and site staff before they undertake their responsibilities.
The Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, Child Nutrition Programs provides Summer Food Service Program training each spring.
Spring 2021 training sessions are listed below and will be provided via distance delivery.
- For All new and returning sponsors: March 31, 2021 8:30 – 4:30
- For school districts only (new and returning): April 1, 2021, 1:00 – 4:30
To register for training, please contact Jennifer Cherian at firstname.lastname@example.org
Distance delivery login, dial-in information and training materials will be sent via email to all registered participants prior to training dates.
March 19, 2021 – Training registration deadline
March 31, 2021 – Training for new and returning sponsors
April 1, 2021 – Training for school districts only
May 1, 2021 – Deadline to submit completed SFSP applications
- Program Specialist
- VACANT: (907) 465-4788
- Education Program Assistant
- Jennifer Cherian: (907) 465-4969
- SFSP Administrative Guidance for Sponsors, updated 2016 (pdf)
- SFSP Site Supervisor’s Guide, updated 2017 (pdf)
- SFSP Monitor’s Guide, updated 2017 (pdf)
- SFSP Nutrition Guidance, updated 2018 (pdf)
- 2021 SFSP Reimbursement Rates (pdf)
- Free and Reduced Price Eligibility Report (excel)
- Summer Food Service Program Toolkit
- Alaska Native Site Eligibility Letter Template (docx)
- Migrant Organization Site Eligibility Letter Template (docx)
- Appeal Rights (pdf)