- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Suicide Prevention Is Everyone's Business
Suicide is a tragic and preventable loss for families and communities. This website is designed to help Alaskans promote a culture that restores hope, encourages distressed people to seek help, and builds resilience and connectedness among families and communities.
Alaskans do not need to feel hopeless and suffer in silence. All of us can play a role in preventing suicide. Learn what you can do.
Request for Applications
The Suicide Awareness, Prevention & Postvention (SAPP) grant provides an opportunity for schools to support programs, practices, and policies that focus on areas that are related to the State Suicide Prevention Plan Goals and Strategies. The project is designed to target funds to any public school district however; grants will only be awarded to applicants who primarily serve at risk students as demonstrated by YRBS results and suicide demographics.
New Competitive Grant Opportunity
Technical Assistance Opportunity
***January 30, 9:00-10:00am
For all Applicants – Optional Technical Assistance Blackboard/Audio conference will focus on areas such as: clarifying the target audience for these funding resources, discus the eligible focus areas, application requirements, and scoring rubrics. Plans are for this call to be recorded and posted on the department website.
Call in number: 1-800-315-6338 code: 47471#
Grant Writing Purposes
- FY 19 The Grant Application – pdf
Individual technical assistance will be available by telephone 907-465-6523 or email Sharon Fishel
- Guidance for Priority Points- (docx)
- Alaska State Suicide Prevention Plan 2018-2022(pdf)
- YRBS Data
- State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin
- Alaska Statute 14.03.110 Questionnaires and surveys administered in public schools
Staff Suicide Awareness & Prevention Trainings
Alaska Statute 14.30.362 requires DEED to review and approve suicide awareness and prevention training used to satisfy this statutory requirement. Please find below the list of approved trainings, training criteria, and DEED eLearning courses.
- Staff Suicide Awareness and Prevention Trainings (xlsx)
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention Training Criteria (docx)
- Suicide Awareness & Prevention eLearning Courses
- eLearning Classroom
- Navigating Transitions: Promoting Wellness to Prevent Suicide (https://eedelearning.asentialms.com ) Lessons for grades 5-12
Looking for Help?
If you are feeling down or are looking for help for yourself or others, please talk to someone. Here are some resources:
- Suicide Prevention Week
- September 5-11
- World Suicide Prevention Day
- September 10
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- Education Specialist
- Sharon Fishel: (907) 465-6523
There are some warning signs that someone is at risk for suicide. Risk is greater when these behaviors are new or increased. The risk for suicide is also greater if the following behavior(s) is linked to a painful or stressful event, loss or change.
- Talking about wanting to die or committing suicide
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or purchasing a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing use of drugs or alcohol
- Acting anxious or agitated
- Behaving recklessly
- Change in sleeping habits - too much sleep or too little sleep
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about revenge
- Extreme mood swings
Student Screening Tools & Curriculum
- Alaska State Suicide Prevention Plan: 2018-2022 Casting the Net Upstream: Promoting Wellness to Prevent Suicide in Alaska (pdf)
- 2014 Alaska Postvention Guide Preparing to Heal
- Alaska Epidemiology
- 2012 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action (pdf)
- A Guide to Suicide Prevention (pdf)
- After a Suicide Tool Kit for Schools (pdf)
- American Indian/ Alaska Native Suicide Prevention Strategies (pdf)
- Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention (pdf)
- Postvention (pdf)
- Preventing Suicide A Tool Kit for High Schools (pdf)
- Suicide Prevention Guide (pdf)
- Youth Suicide Prevention School Based Guide (pdf)
- Alaska Careline Crisis Intervention
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Suicide and Suicide Attempt Prevention
- Alaska Statewide Suicide Prevention Council
- Stop Suicide Alaska
- Community-Based Suicide Prevention
- Teen Health and Wellness