The Alaska Schoolwide Positive Behavior Support (SW-PBS) website provides schools and districts with resources to implement SW-PBS.
Positive Behavior Support (SW-PBS) gives people a different way to think about behavior. SW-PBS is based on understanding why problem behaviors occur - the behavior's function. This approach to behavior can occur on a schoolwide level, in a specific setting, a classroom, or with an individual student. SW-PBS is the application of evidence-based strategies and systems to assist schools in developing a positive school culture. This initiative can lead to an increase in academic performance, school safety (including suicide prevention), a decrease in problem behaviors, and a positive school and community climate.
This site will have resources available under the following categories:
- What do you need to know? (Orientation Phase)
- How do you get ready? (Readiness Phase)
- What are leadership teams? (Forming Teams)
- How do we make decisions? (Data Collection)
- How do we do it? (Implementation of Tiers)
- Who should be involved? (Family/Community/Behavioral Health Agency)
- Where to go for more information? (Resources)
- Outreach (under development)
- Who helped? (Acknowledgements) - word
- How are Alaska schools implementing SW-PBS? (Alaska School Highlights)
- Education Specialist
- Sharon Fishel: (907) 465-6523
- Confidential Fax: (907) 465-2713