- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Safety and Alaska's Education Challenge
The safety of all students and staff in Alaska's schools has always been a top priority at the Department of Education and Early Development. However, through Alaska's Education Challenge, DEED's commitment to school safety has been elevated even further. Cultivate Safety and Well-Being been established as one of the department's three foundational commitments and will overlay all of DEED's work in the coming years. Meeting this commitment to safety will require DEED promoting the Education Challenge's School Safety and Well-Being specific goals of helping all schools become trauma-engaged, establishing a more positive school climate for all staff and students, and ensuring the physical and mental health needs of all students are addressed by providing direct access to school nursing and counseling services. For more information regarding the Education Challenge, visit the Alaska's Education Challenge page. This page provides information for the prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and post-crisis recovery from a variety of potential emergency situations, as well as a composite of statutory and regulatory school safety requirements.
- Program Coordinator II
- Kami Moore – (907) 465-2939
- Education Administrator II
- Todd Brocius – (907) 465-2887
Safety Related eLearning Modules
Alaska School Safety Laws and Regulations
- AS 14.33.100 Required School Crisis Response Planning
- AS 14.03.140 Emergency Drills
- 4 AAC 06.200-06.250 Safe Schools
To view other relevant laws, click or otherwise activate the Additional Laws header below.
- Safe Supportive Learning
- Stop Bullying
- U.S. Department of Education - Guiding Principles: A Resource Guide for Improving School Climate and Discipline
- Emergency Operations Plans – Interactive Tools
- Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans
Response and Recovery
- Coping with Violence and Traumatic Events
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Resources on multiple types of trauma including multiple types of disasters, domestic violence, sexual abuse and many more.
Trainings and Professional Development
- State of Alaska – Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- State of Alaska - Health Emergency Response Operations (HERO)
Guidelines and Templates
- Disaster Preparedness Guidelines for School Health Services
- Infectious Disease Management: Guidelines for Alaska Schools
- 2017 Alaska School Emergency Operations Plan Guidebook and Template