- Cama-i, quyana tailuci!
- (Central Yup’ik)
- "Greetings, thank you for coming!"
Alaska did not adopt the English Language Arts Common Core State Standards. However, Alaskan stakeholders found our previous standards to be lower in rigor than other states’ standards and to lack clarity in terms of what students should know and be able to do. We wanted to increase our standards’ rigor so that Alaska’s high school graduates are better prepared for college education, technical training, and careers after high school. In 2012, the State Board of Education & Early Development adopted new academic standards for English Language Arts.
- English Language Arts standards (pdf, word, excel, text)
- Guide for reading ELA standards (pdf)
- Glossary for ELA standards (pdf)
- Shifts for Alaska ELA standards (pdf)
- Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (pdf)
- Test Design and Blueprints for ELA and Math Assessments: ELA page 1 and Math page 8 (pdf)
Standards and Targets by Grade
|Grade Level||Standards||Learning Targets|
|Kindergarten||PDF | Word||Word|
|1||PDF | Word||Word|
|2||PDF | Word||Word|
|3||PDF | Word||Word|
|4||PDF | Word||Word|
|5||PDF | Word||Word|
|6||PDF | Word||Word|
|7||PDF | Word||Word|
|8||PDF | Word||Word|
High School Standards
|Reading Standards for Literature||PDF | Word|
|Reading Standards for Informational Text||PDF | Word|
|Writing Standards||PDF | Word|
|Speaking and Listening Standards||PDF | Word|
|Language Standards||PDF | Word|
- ELA Claims Progression, Grades 3-5 (pdf)
- ELA text complexity (pdf)
- Evaluating Text Questions (pdf)
- Creating Text Dependent and Specific Questions for Close Analytic Reading (pdf)
Posters and Bulletin Board Sets
English Language Proficiency
Alaskan students who take Dynamic Learning Map assessments are instructed and assessed on Essential Elements (EEs). EEs are grade-level-specific expectations about what students with the most significant cognitive disabilities should know and be able to do. EEs are related to college- and career-readiness standards for students in the general population.
For more information, please visit the Special Education page.
Sites of Interest
- District English Language Arts Instructional Materials (xlsx)
- ELA Instructional Materials District Review EdReports and LA Ratings (xlsx)
The Performance Evaluation for Alaska’s Schools (PEAKS) and the Alaska Science Assessment are designed to measure a student’s understanding of the skills and concepts outlined in the Alaska English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Standards and the Alaska Science Grade Level Expectations - GLEs (pdf). The Alaska English Language Arts and Mathematics Standards are specific rigorous expectations for growth in students’ skills across grades.
The PEAKS assessments are administered to students in grades 3-9. The science assessment is administered to students in grades 4, 8, and 10.
For more information please visit the PEAKS page.